Monday, June 14, 2010

"Quail" a new image in my bird gallery

Quail by Paul Hood
Quail by Paul Hood


I took this shot probably a few years ago back in Santa Cruz, California. I don't think I really saw the potential in it until recently. I have, for the most part stopped taking bird photos in favor of more artistic landscapes and such. The name of the game in the bird photo genre seems to be hyper sharp close-ups and a while ago I got tired of that. This is more of a medium shot and the overall composition is what made me want to revisit it, especially since I am gradually getting more creative in treating backgrounds and foregrounds. At some point it struck me that "super-real" impressed me on one level but left me flat emotionally. This is an issue which pushes me more towards other art mediums and to some extent away from photography.

No comments: