Thursday, February 22, 2007

Unraveling the Mysteries



The article in the Good Times came out today. We got a preview of it last night and it’s a pretty damn good representation of us. There’s a different photo online than the one in the paper. I think we like them both, but the one in the print edition is a bit better, also it’s huge! All things considered it’s even flattering. I had been worried that the photographer wanted to shoot us from below, but it came out fine. The only real error is a quote attributed to Sheryl stating that we strictly work with health issues. In fact we work with many different issues. Chris Magyar did a good job on the article and he strikes me as a really nice guy too. Jen Walters took the photo and she may have photoshopped the background in as well, really nice work.

here’s a link to the article:
http://www.gtweekly.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=194&Itemid=1

There are several other alternative health people featured in related articles. We know one of the acupuncturists, we even had dinner with her once to discuss marketing several months back. It’s funny, we’d seen her ad drop out of the GT section called “mind body spirit” and she had claimed that it wasn’t working very well for her. Since then she teamed up with three other acupuncturists and opened a “clinic” working for a very low sliding scale fee. I’d like to check in with her and see how this new arrangement works out.

In another part of the same issue, there’s this thing called the “Vibe Machine”. I have to admit that I’m assuming that it doesn’t work, doesn’t really do anything. As a former electronics tech I have to say; these electronic healing devices have been coming and going since the turn of the century. What’s my problem, why am I being such a humbug about it-- because for years I had to hear all about EMF pollution and endure seeing numerous devices flooding the market claiming to protect you from it: mostly these are copper bracelets or the like. Now somebody has invented a device which purposefully radiates people with EMF. I just read the “white paper” on the device, such as it is, and discussed it with Sheryl, and Sheryl brought her guides in on it. So, let me just say this. No matter what the secondary value, let us not bring people downward into ignorance. Sheryl tells me that it's easier for some people to have faith in an electrical device than something else. I don't know, I used to design and build loudspeakers to some pretty exacting specifications: they did what I said they'd do. There's just something about a device which includes a tesla coil and claims to be a cure which bugs me. Tesla coils make really pretty sparks. Even Nikola Tesla didn't claim his device would cure your cancer.

I haven’t been keeping up on this blog, and things have been piling up. A little bit ago I wrote about what can happen when the ego, having been subdued (usually through meditation but sometimes through illness, injury or other extreme stress) allows an enlightening experience to occur: one of expanded consciousness. I believe that the ego tends to snap back into place and can tend to identify itself with the experience of the numinous. I didn’t say so in the article, but it did come up in a recent video interview, that in extreme cases the ego decides “I am God” or depending on your religious background it may be, “I am Jesus.”

Well, in a certain sense, that’s good, especially if you then recognize the divine spark in every other person, in plants, animals, inanimate objects, in space etc. It’s a problem if you go around telling everybody that you’re Jesus and they need to get on board with you. I mean, it’s your choice, but like any unlikely claim, you may be asked to prove your case. Bear in mind that I am treading on dangerous ground here whenever I get skeptical of others: I’m a spiritual counselor and healer with my partner, Sheryl, who is a conscious channel. Plenty of people may be skeptical of us. What I’m trying to do is explain that there are quite a few reasons why person might think they’re Jesus, but as far as the rest of the world is concerned, a whole lot of reasons why you’re not. Guess who wins? Sometimes the measure of whether a person is considered delusional, or simply religious, in the eyes of society is only a matter of the vocabulary used. You can tell people that you’re “embodying Christ consciousness” and they won’t lock you up. If you’re Jesus, you’d already know that and I wouldn’t have to tell you. Jesus, by reputation was a miraculous healer, so maybe we'd be better off if more people were Jesus and were willing to prove it:

John 14:10 - "Dost thou not believe that I am in the Father and the Father in me? The words that I speak to you I speak not on my own authority. But the Father dwelling in me, it is he who does the works. 11 - Do you believe that I am in the Father and the Father in me? 12 - Otherwise, believe because of the works themselves. Amen, Amen, I say to you, he who believes in me, the works that I do he also shall do, and greater than these shall do, because I am going to the Father. 13 - And whatever you ask in my name, that I will do, in order that the Father may be glorified in the Son. 14 - And if you ask me anything in my name, I will do it."

Wow, and I'm not even Christian. But I've always liked that quote. I'm not even going to put my metaphysical stamp on it either. Lest anyone get confused: I don't validate any one religion over any other. Oh, I am so tempted to interpret the above quote, but no. I like it because it's empowering, and it's about recognizing the divinity in all of us. It's more inspiring to me than sparky devices, much as I love things that go "zap".

On another note I’m getting my heart broken lately by the guy on the street who told me he just got out of jail, spent two weeks there just for having an open container of beer. I don’t know the whole story, maybe he was driving at the time and maybe I’d better keep my compassion in check. More heartbreak by another person who called and Sheryl and I just didn’t have answers for him on the spot, and we couldn’t do what he wanted us to do. It wouldn’t have been appropriate for us to book an appointment with him, and also we just aren’t a referral service for other agencies who might be able to help. Still, we’re going to try to have a few phone numbers handy if we get another call that we need to refer out. It haunts me when somebody calls and I can’t help them, but there is something I need to learn there and it seems I haven’t got it yet.

I know damn well that I can’t do it all, and I’m not responsible for everybody who comes along. But I’m not over wanting to help anybody and everybody who comes along. I’m just not over that, nor have I entirely come to grips with the disparity of suffering in the world. You don’t talk to somebody about Karma when they just discovered that their child has a serious impairment which medical science can’t address. From a metaphysical point of view, it’s useful to assume that all of our life challenges are chosen by us, if not individually, then at least collectively as part of the human experience. In truth it’s better to assume responsibility for all of your life than to assume a “poor me” attitude (victimhood can be a miserable, yet addictive way of life). But sometimes the bigger truth is to keep your mouth shut, make a cup of tea and bring a blanket for some one who is suffering. Cry with them and hold them, sort out the metaphysics later.

No comments: