Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Flying

I was talking with Sheryl earlier about how much I enjoy watching birds. Down at the wharf there's a seagull nesting in a very inappropriate place, but you know what? It worked just fine last year. If it works again this year, it probably becomes a tradition. Some of my favorite birds are common birds like crows, seagulls and pelicans, those little blackbirds, starlings. They're so successful. I don't know how many thousands of years got invested in that success, so many small mutations and variations on a theme. They just keep going and going. Sometimes I wonder what the next evolutionary steps will be for humans. I've wondered and been interested in that since I was a kid. "The Human Potential Movement," somebody coined that phrase. We seem to undergo evolution in a single lifetime, not connected to the standard darwinian concept as it relates to reproduction and handing down genetic material. What are we capable of, what can we transform into?

No comments: